Private Medical Cover.
What is it?Private Medical Cover is an insurance policy, which protects an individual should they become injured or ill and require medical treatment, advice or medication. However, instead of using the NHS, you will be treated in a Privatised hospital or ward. Often this cuts waiting times or removes them all together, to then in turn gain a faster diagnosis or access to treatment sooner. Furthermore, it allows you access to medication and treatment often not available through the NHS. Having Private Medical Cover does not remove your option to use the NHS if you wish to do so but it does give you the peace of mind should the worst happen to you or your family, you have access to the diagnosis, treatment and aftercare as soon as you need it to allow you to make the best recovery possible.
Can I get Private Medical Cover?If you are the main member and you are aged between 18 and 79 at the start of your cover you are eligible. In addition, if you opt for Couple’s cover your spouse should be aged 16 – 79 and if you opt for Family cover, any dependents can be included as long as they are 25 and under (a dependent 21 and over will be charged adult rates). As long as all members on the cover reside at the same address and are UK residents, living in the UK for at least 180 days per year, you can get this cover.
What is covered?
Our Private Medical Cover has a Core Cover which is included as standard and gives you access to the following:
- Hospital Fees
- Consultant Fees
- In-Patient & Day Patient Diagnostic Tests
- Out-Patient Surgical procedures
- Vitality GP (No waiting for your GP to have an appointment available, use the Vitailty app to video call a GP and start your referral process, or visit a Vitality GP face to face)
- Private Prescriptions (up to £100)
- Option to use and be referred by your own GP if you prefer
- NHS Hospital Cash Benefit - if you choose to use the NHS instead of the private route you will get £250 per night stay (£2,000 max) or £125 per day (£500 max) for not making a claim!
- Childbirth cash benefit - £100
- Home Nursing (if recommended by a consultant or specialist)
- Private Ambulance
- Parent Accommodation – if you have a child under 14 who needs an overnight stay, you will have your accommodation paid for so you can stay by their side.
- Pregnancy Complications
- Talking Therapies up to 8 counseling sessions for any mental health issue.
- Lifestyle Surgeries including weight loss (gastric band/bypass) and corrective (Port Wine stain removal, breast reduction amongst others (T&C’s apply – contact us to find out more)
- Cancer Cover
On top of all of this you have the option to add any of the following options:
- Out-Patient Cover (available at a range of amounts from £500 – unlimited)
- If you choose Out-Patient Cover you also get Physiotherapy cover and MRI/PET/CT Scans included as an added extra
- Therapies cover (available at a limit of £350 - unlimited)
- Out-Patient Diagnostics (can be included within your out patient amount or in full)
- Extended Cancer Cover
- Dental Cover (Major or Routine & Major)
- Worldwide Travel Cover (available up to age 64)
You can also select a range of different:
- Excess levels (from £0 - £1000)
- Excess payment (per claim or per year)
- Hospital Lists
Healthy living and rewards
One very unique feature to this Private Medical cover option is the Healthy living and rewards proposition. In a nut shell – if you lead a healthy life, you will be rewarded with discounts and if you don’t lead a healthy life Vitality will offer you discounts and incentives to encourage you to change your lifestyle and make being healthy much easier (and cheaper). Some examples of this are below:
- Apple Watch from £29
- Garmin or Polar Activity Trackers 40% off
- Virgin Active Gym membership 50% off
- Nuffield Health Gym Membership 50% off
- David Lloyd Gyms 50% off
- Half Price Trainers from Sweatshop (online or in store)
- Allen Carr Stop smoking course Free
- Eurostar, up to 50% off
- British Airways European Flights up to 40% off
- Free Weight Watchers for up to 12 months
- Evans Cycles: up to 50% off a new bike
- Champney’s Spa Breaks – 75% off
- Cineworld or Vue Cinema Tickets weekly
- Starbucks Drink: Weekly
- Ocado: Online shop, free delivery & up to 25% off
- Vitality Park Run
- Disney Kids incentives
Again, there are always standardized exclusions with insurance policies, and this one is no different. Below is a list of situations where you would not be covered:
- Private Medical Cover: Chronic conditions NOT covered (initial diagnosis, stabilisation and treatment is covered)
- Pre-existing conditions classed as anything sought advice/ medication or treatment on in 5 years prior to start date. Not covered for first 2 years. Then covered in full. Unless existing Private Medical Cover in place & a switch/continuation is done.
- Travel: up to age 64: No restrictions, NO update of health required after start date. Only claim refusal would occur if gone against medical advise not to travel.
- Treatment in hospitals outside the UK (unless have Worldwide Travel Cover in place)
- Emergency Treatment: this is what the NHS is designed for. Once stablised and agreed by medics, you could switch to a private setting if you wish.
- Normal pregnancy and childbirth
- Organ Transplants
- Normal pregnancy and childbirth
- Working offshore (extraction / refinery of natural or fossil fuels)
- Being a member of the Armed Forces (including reservists)
- Partcipation in an Professional or Semi-Professional Sports (unless agreed prior to cover start date in writing)
- High risk activities (e.g. mountaineering, rock climbing, parachuting, hang gliding, bungee jumping etc – please note this list is NOT an exhaustive list, please contact us should you need any more details on this)
- Partaking in Scuba Diving without the recognised diving qualifications or without being accompanied by someone who does have the recognised qualifications.
- Skiiing or Snowboarding (unless you have Worldwide Travel Cover and injury/illness occurs whilst travelling)
Any Treatment or condition or injury arising from the following: