Our breakdown cover is designed to make sure you have peace of mind when out and about in your car knowing you wont ever be left stranded should you break down. We have both UK cover and European available, so you can suit your own personal needs. We have also built in motor breakdown cover for those times when your vehicle gives up the ghost. Cover includes; roadside assistance, roadside repairs, recovery service, home breakdown in the UK and Europe and a 24-hour helpline service. You can also include your spouse or partner’s vehicle at an additional premium.
Can I get Breakdown cover?You are eligible for cover if you are over 18 years of age and are a UK resident. The Vehicle you wish to cover needs to be no more than 25 years old.
What is covered?
- Breakdown: should your vehicle breakdown more than 1 mile from your home, this cover will attempt to repair permanently or temporarily to get you back on the road.
- Recovery: If permanent or temporary repair is not possible at the roadside your vehicle will be recovered along with up to 7 passengers (including driver) up to 15miles to a garage or your home, whichever you prefer. If you are on route to a different destination e.g. a hotel or workplace, and you can choose to be recovered to this location instead, wherever that may be within the UK.
- Home assist: it may be that your vehicle breaks down at home, or maybe you have lost your keys? If that’s the case, you can make use of home assist and have your vehicle permanently or temporarily fixed or recover you to a garage up to 15 miles away.
- Alternative travel: If alternative travel is required £150 can be contributed towards the cost of additional vehicle hire or transport costs for you and your passengers.
- Overnight Accommodation: If your vehicle isn’t repairable at the roadside and you are away from home, up to £550 will be covered for costs associated with accommodation, this limit is made up of costs for the driver and passengers.
- If you opt to take out the European option, you will also be covered for the recovery and breakdown of your vehicle when travelling in Europe. If your car is not repairable, you will even be covered for the repatriation of you and the vehicle home, or to your intended European destination, whichever is closest.
As with all insurance there are occasions where you won’t be covered but these are obvious and logical to most of us. A list of general exclusions are:
- Any claim associated with a vehicle not listed on the schedule of insurance (unless opting for personal cover)
- Any breakdown caused as a result of your lack of maintenance of the vehicle or choosing to use the vehicle when it is not roadworthy.
- Any claim where a vehicle is towing a caravan that exceeds 7m/23feet or when a standard towing hitch isn’t used.
- Any claim relating solely to a caravan or trailer.
- Any vehicle where it has been used in any form of competition, rally, trial, track day, performance race, timed lap, speed trial or race.
- Any claim associated with a fault, defect or damage that existed before the policy start date.
- Claim’s totaling more than £10,000 in any policy year.
- Any Vehicle being used as a minibus, motorhome, limousine or horsebox.
- Any claim that should be claimed under a different insurance policy e.g. car insurance or car warranty.
- Any vehicle that is untaxed, uninsured, dangerous to transport or deemed illegal.
- Any claim made within 24 hours of the start of the policy.
- Any claim attempt on Vehicles running out of fuel (unless cause by mechanical or electrical failure.